I think itâ€™s safe to say that our worldâ€™s were flipped upside down over the last couple of weeks. Itâ€™s made me do a lot of reflecting and Iâ€™ve realized the way I was prepping and cooking meals wasnâ€™t sustainable for this new reality. I canâ€™t go to the store on a whim to get fresh veggies â€“ heck you never know what items youâ€™ll even find so I had to start shifting.
This process has made me think about my parents, how they grew up and how I grew up. Our freezer was always stocked with frozen meats and vegetables. We had potatoes from our garden year round. My mom rarely threw food out â€“ we ate leftovers until they were gone and if we missed the window, they were frozen to eat at a later date. Iâ€™m leaning into some of her routines and noticing where I need to be better.
Now back to the point of this blog: pantry staples! You better believe I raided my pantry when I realized I needed to use what I had. My creativity kicked in and I realized I had some great recipes living on the blog that could be made from pantry staples!
- Portable Egg Cups â€“ Mix in whatever veggies you can find! The quinoa and egg will keep you full for hours.
- Chia Pudding â€“ 5 Ways â€“ Everyone needs a basic chia pudding recipe in their back pocket! If you have chia seeds and milk on hand, you can make chia pudding. Add in whatever flavors and mix-ins youâ€™d like!
- Overnight Oats â€“ 5 Ways â€“ Similarly to chia pudding, if you have oats and milk on hand, you can always whip up a delicious breakfast thanks to overnight oats! Add in a few of your favorite flavors to create a delicious breakfast or snack.
- Slow Cooker Apple Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal â€“ Set it and forget it with this simple (yet delicious!) steel cut oatmeal made in your slow cooker.
- Banana Nut Overnight Oats â€“ I love banana flavored anything â€“ these overnight oats are the perfect mix of savory and sweet.
- Chocolate Almond Butter Overnight Oats â€“ Nuts + chocolate = life. Make your morning with this tasty overnight oat recipe!
- Vanilla Bean Chia Pudding â€“ A staple chia pudding recipe that you can get creative with if you want.
- Berry Chia Pudding â€“ Swap fresh berries for frozen in this berry chia pudding recipe!
- Avocado Tuna Salad â€“ If you canâ€™t track down an avocado, mayo is just as delicious! Eat this tuna salad on itâ€™s own, on toast or bread, over greens or with crackers/chips.
- Buffalo Chicken Salad â€“ A spicy take on a traditional chicken salad. I love this as a sandwich or over greens.
- Curried Chickpea and Avocado Salad â€“ Vegan lunch doesnâ€™t get much simpler with this mashed chickpea and avocado salad. Skip the curry powder if youâ€™re not a fan of curry.
- Mediterranean Egg Salad â€“ A Mediterranean twist on a classic recipe. Youâ€™ll love the addition of sun-dried tomatoes, olives and cucumbers to this salad!
- Guacamole Chicken Salad â€“ Just like the avocado tuna salad, you can definitely stick to mayo if you need!
- Quinoa and Chickpea Salad â€“ Another vegan recipe packed with protein. This recipe packs a flavor punch with all of the seasonings and spices!
- Honey Garlic Chicken and Chickpea Salad â€“ Double the protein to keep you full for hours. I love the flavor combination of honey and garlic.
- Quinoa Taco Salad â€“ This delicious salad is made from mostly pantry staples with a few fresh ingredients if you can find them!
- Thai Quinoa Casserole â€“ Use frozen broccoli if you canâ€™t find fresh. Youâ€™ll love this flavor packed recipe made from pantry staples.
- Quinoa Chili â€“ Another recipe made almost entirely from pantry staples (or at least non-perishables!). Incredibly filling and delicious.
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese â€“ Would you believe me if I told you this vegan macaroni and â€ścheeseâ€ť is made from pantry staples? Counting butternut squash in that category because squash will stay good for a long time!
- Moroccan Lentil Soup â€“ Dinner doesnâ€™t get much simpler than this. A soup made entirely of pantry staples!
- The Ultimate Buddha Bowl â€“ At first glance you might think this has a lot of fresh ingredients andâ€¦ it does! But this bowl is 100% customizable. Use the veggies youâ€™re able to find and the protein you have on hand to make your own version of a buddha bowl.
- Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas â€“ Considering squash a pantry staple because it lasts so dang long. If you spot a spaghetti squash at your grocery store, grab it and make this recipe!
- Quinoa Tortilla Soup â€“ A vegetarian version of chicken tortilla soupâ€¦ you wonâ€™t miss the meat in this delicious recipe!
Snack & Dessert Recipes
- Lemon Pepper Roasted Chickpeas â€“ Dig your chickpeas out of the pantry, itâ€™s time for roasted chickpeas! I love them on their own for a satisfying snack but theyâ€™re also delicious on salads and grain bowls.
- Sriracha Lime Chickpeas â€“ A spicy version of one of my favorite snacks.
- Savory Granola â€“ Sometimes you just need a crunchy, savory snack to munch on. I love this granola on itâ€™s own or on top of salads!
- Tahini Chocolate Energy Balls â€“ Pro tip: always have energy balls made! I love having these sweet treats on hand for breakfast, snack or dessert.
- No Bake Peanut Butter Protein Bars â€“ A simple protein bar to have for breakfast or snack. Pantry staples = fun and delicious!
- Healthy Trail Mix â€“ Trail mix was one of my favorite childhood snacksâ€¦ and that still stands today! I love the combination of nuts, chocolate and fruit. Mix in whatever dried fruit and use whatever nuts you have!
- No-Bake Oatmeal Protein Energy Balls â€“ A great base recipe for energy bites. Mix in the flavorings that you have on hand.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!